Welcome to the Buffalo Bill Museum in LeClaire, Iowa…
Saturday, October 14th 10:00 – Noon: Book Launch and Signing: Buffalo Bill and the Magic Amulet by Jude B. Rennie and Timothy W. Ayers Join the Buffalo Bill Museum in LeClaire, Iowa as we celebrate the new children’s book: Buffalo Bill and Magic Amulet. Meet the author Timothy Ayers from 10 – Noon. Children will be able to participate in a scavenger hunt of items mentioned in the book that are located throughout the museum. Guests will also be able to visit the museum’s exhibits. There will be free admission to the museum during the event from 10-noon. Books will be available for sale at the museum. Books $13.00. Books are now for sale in the museum store!
Explore History! Historic Sites & Homes of LeClaire
Pick up our new Historic Sites & Homes booklet at the museum! This project was paid for you in part by the Iowa Tourism Office.
- Read about the museum in AAA Midwest Traveler Magazine AAA-Midwest-Traveler9-17
- The Buffalo Bill Museum has been named one of the 25 best things to do in Iowa by VacationIdea Dream Vacation Magazine.
- The Buffalo Bill Museum and LeClaire, Iowa are listed on the National Geographic website that helps people explore the Mississippi River.
- We have added audio narratives to a few of our exhibits: Native Americans, Homesteading and James Ryan.
- Recently, we received a donation from Mike Wolfe of “American Pickers“. It is Iron-Eyes Cody’s Tee Pee. He was an Italian actor who portrayed an Indian in many Westerns, including John Wayne. He also was known as the crying Indian from the TV commercial to save the environment. The show also did a good tribute to Cecil Fletcher who was friends with the actor and we have a display dedicated to him as well. Cecil was a local musician who wrote a song about LeClaire and had it copyrighted so we have an official city song. Not too many towns can boast that. We also sell his music.
- We have just received more Native American souvenirs for our Gift Shop. Stop by and see what’s new!
- Learn about Geocaching
- We just received the Certificate of Excellence 2015 Winner from www.tripadvisor.com for being recognized by customers as one of the very best in the business.
- We have also received the Brick and Mortar Award for 2014 from the LeClaire Chamber of Commerce.
- The museum director, Robert Schiffke, was awarded The Edward B. deSilva Community Leadership Award for 2015 given by the LeClaire Chamber of Commerce.
- 1939 Chris Craft Speed Boat on Display
- A 3 foot hand crafted replica of the riverboat the Robert E. Lee
- The City of LeClaire’s fully restored first fire truck
- Educational Play Room for young children 3 to 8 years of age accompanied by an adult
- A room displaying Early 1900’s Ladies Fashions
- A New Sauk & Fox Indian Display featuring Cradle Boards
- Lone Star Wooden Hull Steam-powered Paddle Wheel – “A Must To See”: An exhibit featuring The first licensed Riverboat Pilot on the Mississippi River Philip Suiter
- Archival Room where you can do historical research on Buffalo Bill, Mississippi River History, River Pilots and Riverboat History and local area history by appointment
- The Riverboat Pilots
- Pioneers of LeClaire Township
- Indian Artifacts
- The “Green Tree Hotel”
- Life on the Mississippi River
- Summer: 1929 LeClaire Fire Truck / Winter 1949 John Deere Tractor
- Gift Shop
- LeClaire’s Famous Sons:
- Showman “Buffalo Bill” Cody and his Wild West Congress
- Famous inventor, Professor James Ryan’s, was a LeClaire native. His office on display at the museum and he invented the first flight recorder, the seat belt, and crash bumpers for cars.
- James Buchanan Eads, the engineer known for the Eads Bridge in St Louis, Illinois, crossing the Mississippi River.
Open Year Round
Summer Hours !!!! Start Sunday, March 12
Monday – Saturday 9:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M.
Sunday 12:00 P.M. – 5:00 P.M.
Monday – Saturday: 9:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M.
Sunday 12:00 P.M. – 4:00 P.M.
Closed Thanksgiving Day
Christmas Eve open 9am-1pm, Closed Christmas Day
New Years Eve open 9am-1pm, New Years Day 12-4
Youth 6-16 years $1.00
Children under 6 years is Free
Triple AAA Members $4
Active Military are Free
199 N. Front St.
Le Claire, Iowa 52753
Link to Google Maps
Located 1 Block east of Cody Road/Hwy 67;
between Downtown LeClaire and the Mississippi River
*NOTE: All forms are in Adobe PDF format.
Click here to download the free Adobe Reader.
For Administration Purpose Only: Check Email